Saturday, 26 August 2017

More pike & tweaking the WRG rules.

This is the completed pike block for my 8th Regiment of Foot, another blue coated unit. Slightly lighter shade of blue for this one, a Prussian blue base with Azure painted wet into wet and blended. I like the combination of codes ECW 1 'armoured pikeman, pike forward', and ECW2 'armoured pikeman, pike up' as you can bend the second rank down slightly to give the impression of pikes in the act of going from 'Port Your Pike' to 'Charge Your Pike'. I generally do this once all are glued down in formation, the soft metal making the twisting and bending of arms an easy process. The standard three command figures will stand at the rear of the block as usual. Musketeers to follow.







As I'm planning a game soon I'm in the process of typing up the WRG playsheet so I can actually see it! I'm taking the opportunity to remove all non ECW relevant info on the sheets, which was my main motivation in doing this, as the rules cover a wider period such beasts as elephants and camels, chain mail wearing cavalry, fanatics and mercenaries clutter the charts along with bowmen etc and once stripped down to ECW basics the charts and factors are far easier to follow. The Reaction Test for example now appears much simpler to play, it all fits on a page and the list of factors is much quicker to go through. I'll type up as much as I can in this easy to follow format. The Eagle eyed among you might notice that I have converted all 'paces' into inches and slightly reduced some distances from 150 paces (15") to 12" as we used to play it.




I took delivery of a few more TSS tiles this week, Space Saver 2' x 2' squares, plus a few more 2' x 1' tiles and more hill combinations. The Space savers are very tough material and just 20mm thick. My intention is to lay out a basic 6' x 5' table in the dining room some time next week for the opening battle. To this send I have ordered some bits from Hovels, mainly wall sections for my planned Manor House, which will utilise another Dapol 'Country Inn' a Flames of war cobbled square, surrounded by the Hovels wall sections, straights, damaged straights and corner sections together with the rather splendid little period fountain model and water trough, also from Hovels. Again I'm avoiding flocks etc in keeping with the project theme. I plan to finish this before the planned battle.




The fine 'Ornate Fountain' from Hovels that will sit in front of the Manor House, and an example of the wall sections that will surround it all.

Images borrowed from the Hovels website.

11 comments:

  1. I do like pikes in a more horizontal position but find I need to extend the base or my pikes will get bent /broken, at least I have with my Italian wars figures, my ECW were too far down the road, these all look great as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, I have a mix of pike block poses, some at Order others at Charge, I think Peter Gilder used to mix the poses within the blocks but I prefer one or the other. Pike blocks can be fiddly things to move around, that's why I went for the single large base, I just kept knocking them over and pinging the pikes! For info I cut my pikes down to 80mm which looks about right to me?

      Delete
  2. Could I possibly trouble you for a copy of your wrg rules re write?
    Thanks
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alan, Once I have finished typing them up you are most welcome to a copy. I'm trying to get as much of the basics down on a few A4 sheets as I can.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work, Lee. Can't wait to see the buildings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I received your email and will try to open the comments up for future. I'm going to publish Rob's comments here in the meantime as I'm interested in seeing what he does too, the attached photo is excellent, we have much in common :) I'd like to discuss shield design with Rob .

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee,
    I have a sizeable lot of Hinchcliffe ECW in various states that I am looking to sell really cheap. If you're interested I'll sort them out and count what I have. There are loads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean.
      I would indeed be interested in buying your Hinchilffe ECW's. If you could let me know what you have and how much we can go from there:) lgramson@yahoo.com
      Many thanks,
      Lee.

      Delete
  5. Lee, I'm guessing from it's non-appearance that my previous comment from my iPad didn't make it - not the first time that's happened. I was commenting on the rules - I recall many games with George Gush's rules that we used as is, except to roll a d20 against any remaindered casualties to avoid book-keeping.
    Noting your cut down morale modifiers, have you considered the WRG 1685-1845 approach in having several small (few modifiers) morale tests for different circumstances? I always found I usually knew the result from die roll as there were so few modifiers and having different tests allows different outcomes for different reasons for testing. The 1685-1845 rules had many good points, but I could never get to grips with the unusual move sequence but have stolen the morale, firing and combat from 1685-1845 and put them into Piquet which has a great card driven system for command but seems to use novel approaches elsewhere just to be different.
    I assume you've seen the TTTV Edgehill programme which matches your approach of fewer large units - you probably even have some of the figures from the game in your collection, I know I have a few that I found featured after I'd bought them off eBay. I just thought it might be fun to find out what rules were used in that game featuring a very young Duncan Macfarlane against John Tilson.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rob - apologies for the non appearance of your previous comments, I have only just opened up the comments to anonymous posters as I was getting a lot of spam. Future comments WILL appear:)

      As this is a nostalgia project I decided from the start to go with the old WRG Gush rules. Like you I played many games with them and once you got to know them well they produced a lively game that flowed along nicely. We found them more suited to smaller games with larger units, for the big battles we used Forlorn Hope. I do have a set of the 1685-1845 rules so I'll have a look at them again.

      The TTTV Edgehill programme I missed first time round and must have spent 30 years trying to track it down before Doug C made it available on YouTube. It most certainly inspired this project and I have watched it many times. I did note the use of the artillery firing device borrowed from the Napoleonic Grand Manner set, a right cumbersome thing that seemed to require two people to operate, but great fun!

      Delete
    2. I agree about firing sticks - really clunky - I did try using the firing stick and canister template from 'The Wargame' in my 'CHARGE!' games but found it slowed the game and wasn't worth the effort, although a variant of the random howitzer shot placement did produce an amusing friendly fire incident.
      The eBay Hinchliffe ECW buy was a nostalgia piece as I recognised the figures from my first copy of Miniature Wargames (issue #13) - a truly inspirational magazine when it was run by Duncan Macfarlane (who is playing in the TTTV ECW episode). I have all his magazines MW, WI and WW but over time as they've been taken over by others the style has moved away from my tastes. Eventually I gave up on all magazines a year or so ago as I found them so uninteresting I wasn't even reading them.
      Really looking forward to see you troops in action on the blog.
      Rob

      Delete

Comment moderation is now set on. Please bear with me, your comment will be published once I have seen it. Thank you.