Wednesday, 9 August 2017

Expanding the Horse and more Foot.

Having completed another 35 figure Foot Regiment - this time a white coat unit, just awaiting final basing colours - I decided to use some of the 'leftover' cavalry castings to increase the size of some of the horse units. I started with Ruperts and by adding an additional six troopers in pot helmets and back/breast plates I achieved a more mixed look to the unit that I am pleased with. The 16 figures in this unit represents 320 men under the WRG rules so is still somewhat short of the historical strength, but looks impressive. I followed this by combining two 8 figure units into a single 14 figure Parliamentarian Regt, losing a Warrior standard Bearer and an officer and repainting coats and saddle blankets where required. I have one more 8 figure unit left to expand using more of the castings I have left.


Prince Ruperts Regiment of Horse.


Whitecoats in the snow! Pike and Shot Regiment number seven.

Another wonderful 'Garrison' figure (left), commanding the pike block.


Next I'm working on more Dragoons, both foot and mounted. Another Foot Regiment is also in the pipeline.

Hinchliffe Summer Sale!
It's worth mentioning here that Ian Hinds is currently offering Hinchliffe figures at an amazing 75p each as part of his Summer Sale during August - he tells me this is his quiet time of year. I have taken advantage of this offer to top up with castings, both ECW and Ancients (Imperial Romans & Ancient Britons), the latter range having also been fully re moulded and are beautifully crisp and clean castings like the ECW range. More on these in due course. Thinking in terms of current 28mm figure prices I'd say 75p is a round half price on average? Certainly the Renegade figures I last bought were £1.50 each and I swear the Hinchliffes are more animated, and thinking about it 75p is not far off the price of a Warlord multi part plastic! Each to his own of course.

One thing to watch for when buying Hinchliffe mounted figures is that riders don't fit every horse code, not a big problem but you can always check with Ian Hinds before buying, he's a very friendly and approachable guy. An example are these three lovely horse castings I painted this week for 3 of the new Ruperts figures only find the troopers could not made to fit them! No problem just painted three more (checking first), I'm sure other codes will fit the painted horses. I could not help to compare these fine animated horses with a couple of plastic Warlord mounts I have upstairs, they are so 'stiff' and lifeless in my opinion, the Hinchliffes have a real sense of movement and are currently just 90p per horse (normal price £1.05p) in the Sale.

.

Blast! Should have checked first.





14 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the horses those look so animated, one of things I've always liked about Hinchliffe. I've never actually painted any Hinchliffe figures but they do look tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received my first Hinchliffe Ancients in the post this morning and talk about animation!

      Delete
  2. This project is really flying along...well done. I'm so tempted to do a retro ECW project in 25mm but am manfully resisting at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about done here now (already). Still have plenty of figures to paint, but I'll slow down and focus on Hinchliffe Romans v Britons. I bet you give in to temptation!

      Delete
  3. Lovely work, 'Lee. your Whitecoats are looking very frosty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, they are now on the standard light green bases which seems to bring out the off white coats. I wasn't sure it was working to begin with and almost re painited them blue but glad I didn't.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on these horsemen and white coat regiment, I found Ian Hinds to be very helpful when there were a couple of minor mistakes in my renaissance order, excellent customer service, I'd have no problem recommending him myself. I think Warrior are the cheapest, when I bought my 100 figure landsknecht army it cost £40!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Iain, he a good guy to deal with and sends my packages upfront now before I have made payment, not many would do that. Had £100.00 order turn up this morning before I had even seen the bill!

      Delete
    2. Meant to add that I love those Landsnechts, I'm sure one day I'll do the Italian Wars. Did you see the images on 'Mad Tin Hatters' blog (in my list), hundreds of beautiful Hinchliffes of that period, well worth a look.

      Delete
  5. So tempted to try a few to see what they look like.... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, the offer stands, I have loads of spares here that I wont use, can send you plenty of samples if you want to email an address to post to? No problem at all, I tend to round up my orders and always end up with a pile I can't use :)

      Delete
    2. Yes please - I'll take you up on the offer - if you can turn on comment moderation I'll send an address... :o)

      Delete
  6. Steve - comment moderation now on - not a bad thing anyway. I have a nice assortment of codes for you to look at, my pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cavalry regiments do look better being larger - great collection

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is now set on. Please bear with me, your comment will be published once I have seen it. Thank you.