Saturday, 19 August 2017

Dragoons both foot and mounted.

Here are the completed two regiments of Dragoons, 12 mounted figures per unit and 10 dismounted. I don't intend to make dismounted horse holder stands, but when a regiment of Dragoons dismounts the command base of officer and standard bearer will remain to mark the position of the horses. These are all Hinchliffe castings of course except the Red Regiment officer who is a fine old Garrison figure on a Garrison horse. The Red Regiment mounted unit was bought ready painted from Ian Hinds, and I painted the other Blue mounted unit and both foot units. The Red Dragoon flag came with the unit and I tried to do something similar with the Blue flag, having cut it down from a Foot flag, round edged it and hand painted the fringe as best I could. Overall I'm very happy with these 44 figures and they make a nice addition to my collection. I should add that in line with the theme of this project I have tried to keep the painting clean and bright with a Satin varnish finish.

Figure codes used are: ECWC 11 Dragoon Mounted, ECWC 15 Medium cavalry firing pistol (3 in the red unit only, they mix well with the Dragoons), ECW 15 Dragoon firing and officers are ECW 9 & ECW 10. Horses are a selection of LH codes. Standard bearers are simple conversions of ECWC 11.







The single Garrison figure (centre left), these are new to me but must have been a great range as the few I have are little Gems.




I have enough Hinchliffe castings for two more large Regiments of Foot, but I'll take my time with those as I want to get a game played, I have been waiting on more TSS terrain tiles (from the Space Saver range) including a fair few more hill tiles to add to those I have, they have now been dispatched and will hopefully be here early next week. I also plan to paint a few baggage wagons..

7 comments:

  1. Lovely looking units. I really like the rather plain dismounted dragoon figure...he looks suitably Puritanical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Springinsfeld, the firing Dragoon figure is an old favourite of mine too.

      Delete
  2. I've still got a dozen unpainted ones from 1978, 'Lee. You've done a cracking job! Can't wait to see them in action.

    Best regards, WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks again Matt, it's funny how many people remember that firing Dragoon figure in particular.

      Delete
  3. Great work, the blue and orange unit look like the work of one person and the dismounted troops are great too.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain,
      Again I'm sure I was lucky to find so many painted Hinchliffes that matched my own so well, cost me a small fortune (in hobby budget terms), but I was unable to resist them!

      Delete

I have disabled comment moderation as I was losing losing some genuine comments to my Spam folder. I shall see how this goes.