Wednesday, 2 August 2017

At the sign of the White Horse....

I spent a bit of time this week painting and basing a few of the plastic Dapol buildings I bought some time back. I went with Dapol for the retro themed look and I'm really pleased how these have turned out. They are deliberately slightly under scale (OO) as I wanted to avoid huge model buildings for this project, these are of course intended for model railway layouts! They are very cheap at around a fiver each, and whilst there may be some warping and flashing of the 40 years old moulds, they do go together quite well.

Here are a few pics of the church (more a small chapel in this scale), two cottages and the country Inn. I have a couple  more kits and want to use another of the Inn kits to build a small walled Manor House. I based them simply to match the figures as you can see, the thin chap raising his hat outside the church is I'm informed an old Les Higgins figure, possibly from the 30mm range, he has such charm that I just had to use him.







I'm currently painting another Regiment of Foot, and then I'm thinking of adding some baggage wagons and a couple of Falcon light artillery pieces. The Horse are very much finished for now as you can see from the video below (if you have not already seen it on my other blog!).


15 comments:

  1. The houses look really good Lee - I'm still waiting to find time to paint mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found they paint up quite quickly given the low relief of the surface detail. I'm really glad you mentioned them on your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Looking very good. Hovels 25mm Buildngs are nice and small too, suitable for 1/72 or old school Hinchliffe minis. First made in 1984 I think, so they are almost retro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment :) I did look at Hovels initially but it seems several of the ECW buildings are out of production or unavailable? Some are still there though so I'm sure I'll add some in due course.

      Delete
    2. If you ask the owner ( Dennis) he will cast some up for you. He only removed them from the catalogue as they are the really small houses and he got a couple of complaints about the size. But they will be perfect for your project. Here are mine
      http://broadswordsandbeasts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/hovels-in-thistlewood.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks very much for this information, I will contact Dennis as I would love to have some of those old Hovels buildings again. I prefer to scale down a bit, some of the MDF buildings by 4Ground for example are massive! Good as they may be in terms of scale detail I much prefer these older resin casts by Hovels. Nicely painted too on your blog :)

      Lee.

      Delete
  3. Sterling work on these fine old kits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, in these days of everything MDF it's nice to put together a few old plastic kits.

      Delete
  4. Lovely. I´ve had my eye on the dapol houses for a while and now I´ve seen how nice they have turned out I´ll get me some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, they are nice simple little kits, just windows to put in then the basic shell and roof.

      Delete
  5. Very nicely done, 'Lee. Like Paul, I've had a stash of these for quite a while now. Your results are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt :) I found it very relaxing putting the kits together and painting them. Any slight warping is easily overcome, I just had to hold them together until the plastic cement started to set.

      Delete
  6. They look great, I think I'll get at least the church it's great and not too big!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Iain. The church roof was a bit of a challenge to fit but well worth the effort. It's just a bit of warping from the old moulds, so you need to clamp them together while the glue sets!

      Delete

Comment moderation is now set on. Please bear with me, your comment will be published once I have seen it. Thank you.